Past Tense is the verb to refer to events that have occurred in the past.
PAST TENSE FORMULA
The formula for the simple past tense sentences positive, negative, and interrogative following example can be seen in the table below.
| Jenis Kalimat | Rumus | Contoh Simple Past Tense |
|---|---|---|
| positif (+) | S + Verb-2 (past tense) S + be(was/were) | The hunter shot the bear. |
| I was a stamp collector. | ||
| negatif (-) | S + did + not + bare infinitive S + be(was/were) + not | The hunter didn’t shoot the bear. |
| I wasn’t a stamp collector. | ||
| interogatif (?) | Did + S + bare infinitive be(was/were) + S | Did the hunter shoot the bear? |
| Was I a stamp collector? |
- Changes in Verb-2 (past tense) refers to the rules of regular and irregular verbs.
- verb used is Transitive and intransitive.
- Selection of the auxiliary verb in the sentence interrogative sentence refers to the negative rule.
- Bare infinitive is a Verb-1 in the form of a simple (no extra s or es for the subject though the third person singular).
EXAMPLE OF PAST TENSE
Some examples of the simple past tense of its functions are as follows.
| Fungsi | Contoh Simple Past Tense |
|---|---|
| Simple past tense to talk about the action that occurs at a specific time in the past (long or short, single action or glow). | [short]He closed the window. (Dia menutup jendela.) |
| [short]Did he come on time? (Apakah dia datang tepat waktu?) | |
| [short]The party was started at 10.00 a.m. (Pesta dimulai jam sepuluh pagi.) | |
| [short, berseri]The child run across the yard then jumped the fence. (Anak itu berlari melintasi halaman kemudian melompati pagar.) | |
| [long]Did you sleep enough last night? (Apa kamu cukup tidur semalam?) | |
| [long]I studied civil engineering for almost 4 years. (Saya belajar teknik sipil selama hampir 4 tahun.) | |
| Simple past tenseto talk about habits in the past. | I often did exercise in the gym when I lived in Bandung. (Saya sering berlatih di gym ketika tinggal di Bandung.) |
| When I was a senior high school student, I always got up at 4 am to study. (Ketika saya sma, saya selalu bangun jam 4 pagi untuk belajar.) | |
| Simple past tense used in if conditional type 2. | If she studied hard, she would be pass. (Jika dia belajar keras, dia akan lulus.) |
| I would buy a sport car if I had much money. (Saya akan membeli mobil sport jika punya uang banyak.) |
Note
Conditional sentences type 2 is a modality that is used when the result / consequence (result) of the condition (condition) have no or only little chance to materialize because of her condition is not possible or difficult to fulfill in the future.






0 komentar:
Posting Komentar